In search of the perfect pesto.

The Casa Luna was the restaurant that introduced and seduced me into the taste of pumpkin Ravoli with Pesto.I have been going there for the last eighteen years.It was always the kind of place that didn't require a menu, I was going there to eat pumpkin ravoli with pesto, it always came with the complimentary crusty Italian bread,just so you could soak up the left over pesto sauce!I am a lover of pesto and pasta, and it all started at the Casa Luna back in 1993. I have been back in Ubud about 4/5 days now and today was the day I decided to have lunch at the Casa Luna. Next door to where I am staying is the "The Sagittaruis Restaurant " It has pumpkin ravoli and pesto on the menu,and I found out on my last visit that it was kind of poached from the Casa Luna,with a few other dishes too, which gives the Sagittaruis Inn a great menu and great food ,at a fraction of the cost of the Casa Luna.I managed to have my favourite dish on my first day here and it was delicious.Every other day I have tried to order it ,I have been told that it is off the menu for the moment.I was really curious to why?Which ingredient couldn't they get in order to have it on the menu.The amount of Sherlock Holmes movies I watched in Amsterdam really helped me in my powers of deduction.A quick search thru the menu and I notice the "Pizza Del Sol"has pesto as one of the ingredients .For those who are interested in the full recipe:A good pizza base , of course.Sun dried tomatoes, pesto ,feta and egg plant.So rather being a tomato base,the pesto is used on the base .I really don't understand why the pesto base hasn't become more popular.Anyway when I ordered the Pizza Del Sol and my order was accepted, I then knew that pesto wasn't one of the missing ingredients!Four days later the pumpkin ravoli hasn't appeared back on the menu, hence the trip up to the Casa Luna.I am kind of daydreaming on the way there.Decided that I was going to write a piece about pesto!!Whether or not I have been watching too much Australian Master Chef remains to be seen.When I arrive I do ask for the menu and when i get to the pasta and Pizza section ,I realize that my favourite dish is no longer on the menu!!! .........this story is to be continued

Comments

  1. very enjoyable to read. thank you
    starts to get into the flow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think just to get me back into the habit of writing.....more of a letting you know that my favourite dish is no longer on the menu

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment